This Article Includes:
- What is Skunk smell?
- What to do If a skunk sprayed your dog
- Natural methods to get rid of the skunk smell on dog
- The best way to get rid of the skunk smell on dog
- Ways to help your dog avoid getting skunked again
- Reasons why skunk smell occurs
- Important steps to take
What is Skunk smell?
Skunk smell is an unpleasant smell that some dogs experience when they are coughing and sneezing.
Skunk smell is a foul, oily, and often pungent smell that comes from the anal glands of skunks. These glands are located on the buttock area of the skunk and contain large amounts of oil that give off a strong odour. The bacteria can cause the scent in the anal glands to break down oil into sulfur compounds. It gives off a strong smell similar to rotten eggs.
If a skunk sprayed your dog, what should you do?
Firstly you should wash out your dog’s nose and eyes with cool water thoroughly. If the skunk smell is still present, take your dog to the veterinarian for further treatment. You can also try using hydrogen peroxide in a squirt bottle to clean out your dog’s nose and eyes if they are still red or irritated after the water rinse. You may also use an eyewash solution that is available at the drug store (available without a prescription). This solution helps wash out any residue of the skunk spray that may have gotten into your dog’s eyes or mouth.
Natural Methods to Get Rid of the Skunk Smell on Dogs:
Dogs are very susceptible to being sprayed with skunk spray. If you notice your dog is sniffling, weeping, or has a runny nose after a bout with skunk spray, don’t despair. It’s important to remove the skunk smell from your dog as soon as possible. Here are some natural ways you can use to get rid of the skunk smell from dogs.
Vinegar is the best solution for removing the skunk smell from your dog’s fur and skin. It breaks down the scent molecules in the skunk spray and makes them less irritating to dogs’ sensitive noses. To make a vinegar solution, mix 3 cups of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water in a large bowl or container until it forms a paste-like consistency that is easy to apply on your dog’s fur and skin.
Apply the vinegar solution on your dog’s fur and skin by massaging it into their body using a soft brush or cloth until the solution dries completely.
2. Baking Soda:
Baking soda is also an effective remedy for removing the skunk smell from your dog’s fur and skin. It soaks up the odour molecules on your dog’s fur and skin. It is a mild solution for your dog. To make a baking soda solution, mix 1/4 cup of baking soda with 2 cups of water in a pot or container. Mix it until you make a paste. apply this paste to your dog.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide:
Hydrogen peroxide is another remedy for removing the skunk smell from dogs. Make a hydrogen peroxide solution by mixing 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide with 1/2 cup of water in a pot. The solution is ready. Use a brush to apply it to the dog’s skin.
The best way to get rid of the skunk smell on dogs:
The best and fastest way to get rid of the skunk smell is to use a product that contains benzoyl peroxide. This will help break down any oils in the anal glands of your dog and help remove any nasty smell. If you do get it extra on your dog, then just wipe it off with some water.
If you don’t have a product with benzoyl peroxide in it, then you can use some diluted hydrogen peroxide. Although this may work for a few days or weeks. It will eventually start to break down the oils in the anal glands of your dog.
Ways to Help Your Dog Avoid Getting Skunked Again:
The best way to prevent your dog from skunk spray is to keep him away from skunk-infested areas. You can also use the above remedies so that your dog will not get sprayed by a skunk again. Make sure to avoid walking your dog in areas where they may encounter a skunk. You should always keep an eye out for skunks and make sure that your dog isn’t around them.
If you live in an area where there are lots of skunks, then you may want to use a spray called “Skunk-Away”.Skunk-Away spray is available at most pet stores. This spray will help mask the smell of the skunk spray on your dog so that they don’t get sprayed again.
Reasons why skunk smell occurs:
Before you can prevent skunk odour from occurring in the first place, you must understand how it happens. The following are some of the most common reasons why skunk odour occurs:
- Wind can carry skunk spray over a wide area.
- Skunks dig up and bury their waste and urine to protect themselves from predators. If they dig in your yard or garden, make sure that you clean up the mess as soon as possible so it doesn’t spread.
- Garbage, pet food scraps, bird feeders, and fruit trees usually attract skunks, If you have these items in your garden, be sure to remove them during the summer months. In summers skunks are more active.
- Skunk urine is highly volatile and evaporates quickly into the air. The best way to prevent it is by cleaning up immediately.
- Lawns, gardens, and flower beds planted with aromatic plants, such as lavender, mint, or rosemary fascinate skunks. These plants may produce a strong scent that attracts skunks. If you have these types of plants, be sure to keep them cut and well-pruned so that the plants do not produce a strong odour.
Important steps to take:
If you suspect that skunk spray has occurred, make sure to take the following steps:
- Remove all trash from your property immediately, vacuum carpets, furniture, and beds before allowing them to dry out.
- Make sure to remove all the pets from the area for at least 24 hours before cleaning up.
- Clean up all spilt weeds and animal waste by hosing down sidewalks with a mixture of water and bleach. Allow the area to dry completely before going back.
- If you have a pool that is covered during the summer months, cover it with an enclosure made of chicken wire and install a plastic liner on top. This will prevent the skunk smell from entering your pool.
- If you have a pool that is uncovered, remove all fish from the water as soon as possible. Skunks are attracted to fish because they like the smell of ammonia in water.
- Make sure that you clean your filter system off and on.
- Close your windows or doors when cleaning up the skunk smell in your home so that lingering smell won’t enter other rooms in the home.
Sometimes when we are careless, skunk attacks our dogs with skunk spray. It causes an unpleasant skunk smell that can be smelly and uncomfortable.
The skunk smell can be difficult to remove from your dog. Luckily, in this article, there are several remedies available that will help you get rid of the skunk smell on your dog’s coat quickly and easily.